24 October 2006

a life without me ...

... is an amazing film (I seem to say that for every film I ever watched?!?). It is a very plain story, about a young mother dying from cancer, leaving her two children and husband behind ... very simple, nothing fancy (ie. no twist in plots etc), but very touching ... it makes you realise how much she is going to lose, and this sense of loss is conveyed in all the gestures she did in trying to hold on to life ... as she said, "the death has no regrets".

It also bought home for me how patients react to doctors. Relatives always only want to talk to you after 5pm. Some days I stayed behind and explained, but there are days in which I still have 10 millions things to do (blood forms, update the list, chase up all the blood results ...) Today, a relative asked me why his father was being given huge trunk of meat, when he is having difficulties to swallow. I was liked - "I don't know, you would have to ask the nurses". I suppose I could have taken more initiative in helping him out, instead of just asking the nurses to deal with it. It is such a fine line to draw, since otherwise, I set an awful precedent in dealing with patients after hours, and they can become quite unreasonable and demand to see a doctor over the weekend etc .. hmm, don't know ...