03 February 2008

Life's unexpected ...

... is always around the corner, waiting to make itself known ... sometimes, it is hard to know how to react, when it drops by to say hello. January has passed in such a flash with job application and random A&E shifts, but I will always remember the miscarriage I witnessed on a cold winter night ... the unexpectedness of the situation, the anguish of the mother, my inability to face the pain, the helplessness we both felt ...

I thought that with times, I will grow stronger as a doctor and be able to face with what life throws at us, as we are constantly witnessing pain, illness, devastation, disappointment, death at first hand ... In a callous way, A&E has hardened my heart, as sometimes it is tough to love some of the patients we see ...

Yet, whenever I am struggling with such emotions, I will encounter a case which makes me genuinely care again. The pain is sometimes harder to bear, but as Mother Teresa said: “I have found the paradox that if I love until it hurts, then there is no hurt, but only more love.”