21 October 2011

Incedies ...

... is a Canadian film made by Denis Villeneuve, based on the play "Scorched" by Wajdi Mouawad. It is about family, love, hatred, irrational anger, broken promises, obscenity of war


Letter 1
I speak to the son, not to the torturer.
Whatever happens, I'll always love you.
I promised you that when you were born, my son.
Whatever happens, I will always love you.
I looked for you all my life.
I found you.
You couldn't recognise me.
You've a tattoo on your right heel.
I saw it.  I recognised you.
You are beautiful.
I wrapped you in tenderness, my love.
Take solace, for nothing means more than being together.
You were born of love.
So your bother and sister were born of love too.
Nothing means more than being  together.
Your mother, Nawal Marwan.
Prisoner no. 72




Letter 2
My loves, where does your story being.  
At your birth?  If so, it begins in horror.
At the birth of your father?  If so, then it begins in a great love story.
But I say your story begins with a promise,
to break the chain of anger
Thanks to you, today I have finally kept it.
The chain is broken.
Finally I can take the time to cradle you
to greatly sing a lullaby to console you.
Nothing means more than being together
I love you.
Your mother, Nawal