23 October 2012

Me Gustas Cuando Callas (I Like You When You Are Quiet) ...

... is a poem by one of my favorite poets Pablo Neruda and is from the book “Twenty love poems and one desperate song”.  The last stanza bought the poem alive for me ... He touches on something profound and magical in the depth of our souls of anyone who has ever loved/be loved ...



I like you quiet because its as if you are absent,
and you hear me from far away, and my voice doesn´t touch you.
It seems that your eyes had flown away
and it seems that a kiss is closing your mouth.

As all the things are filled with my soul
you emerge from the things, filled with my soul.
Dream butterfly, you look like my soul,
and you look like the word melancholia.

I like you quiet and its as if you are distant.
And you are as if complaining, you cooing butterfly.
And you hear me from far away, and my voice doesn´t reach you:
let me be quiet with your silence.

Let me speak to you also with your silence
clear as a lamp, simple as a ring.
You are like the night, quiet and constellated.
Your silence is as a star´s, so far and simple.

I like you quiet because its as if you are absent.
Distant and painful as if you had died.
A word then, a smile would do.
And I´m happy, happy that it isn´t true.