17 September 2007

Is love enough?

... is a question I have been reflecting on recently ... if you have asked me about it a month ago, I would have echoed the whole room with a resounding "yes" ... but recently, I have had my doubts. One of the most fascinating aspects of psychiatry is that you are constantly confront with real life, but sometimes, the pains involved can be more than one can bear ...

I was on-call the other day, and at around 5am, I was bleeped by A&E about another overdosed patient (it is staggering the number of overdoses we see a day, so many unhappy people out there). Maybe it is the early morning - everything seems surreal in the hospital around that time ... but my joyful feeling zipped out of me the moment I laid eyes on her ... Yet, no matter how they make you feel, they are patients at the end of the day, so the psychatiry interview began ...

My patient overdosed on 40 antixiolytic, her 2nd attempts in less than 2 months. She adores her husband and children, and worries and loves were clearly written on their faces when they came to see her in the morning ... But all these are not enough to hold her back from the brim of darkness which has descended among her ... maybe sometimes, love is just not enough ... maybe William Somerset Maugham is right when he said "The love that lasts the longest is the love that is never returned." ...