17 February 2008

A&E ...

... is what I have spent the last two and a half month doing and to be honest, it is not my favourite department/subject on earth ... the work itself can be tedious (with about an interesting-rate of 1/10), the staffs can be difficult (some are absolutely amazing though), the hours are just plain awful (all those evenings at the department, seeing only the moon) ... I sometimes wonder why I choose to be a clerking machine for 4 months ...

Then, on Friday, we had a stimulation day (where plastic robot acts like patient) and for once, I actually know how to deal with an acutely ill patient. My technique is still pretty poor (I am never going to be a vascular surgeon) but I somehow managed to absorb some knowledge about patient management (and not only when they have psychiatric problems or falls or being confused or generally unwell - yep, I am sent to see such cases all the time).

So maybe, just maybe, these four months are not wasted. Somehow, in the midst of the repetitiveness, I have learnt something ... Maybe there is some goodness to be found among the mundanes ...